Example: Email on Mobile - ExactTarget Blog 'Mobile Design Tips'
The second quarter of 2013 is well underway, and marketers have had the opportunity to observe the trends that are emerging and slowly defining marketing this year. With the sharp upward trend in mobile usage last year and the increasing popularity of content marketing, video, and social media, we know we are in for some big changes and exciting innovations in every marketing discipline. When it comes to email marketing, what are some of the major trends we should keep in mind as we attempt to stay current and connect and engage our customers? Let's explore...
1. Mobile Email Marketing
- Number of users relying on mobile devices for email are higher than ever
- Around 80% of people are now using their smartphone for email
- Responsive Email Design is a great solution for mobile needs
2. Triggered Campaigns
- Many marketers still have not instituted any sort of triggered campaign series, specifically a Welcome Email Series when their customers sign up for email
- Welcome emails are important because that is when a customer is at their highest engagement level
- Great examples for content in triggered campaigns: Welcome emails, Anniversary Reminders, Birthday Emails, Abandoned Cart Emails
3. Personalization/Dynamic Content
- Many marketers now avoid sending generic sales emails
- Connecting with your customers is critical
- Most customers are no longer satisfied if they aren’t seeing personalized messages
- Pros to this are higher click through rates as well as conversion rates
- Encourage interaction through your social media platforms
- Send Social Media specific emails to bring your customers to your pages
- A good example for Social Interaction is to run a giveaway that leads you to Facebook or Twitter and the only way to enter is to either Like the page, follow the Twitter account, retweet, etc.
- This has been an evolving trend over the years because until recently there wasn’t an easy way to embed video in email
- HTML5 video has now been a way to present video in email and many marketers have started to slowly integrate this
What are some other email marketing trends you've noticed so far this year? What are your predictions? Share your ideas in the comments.